Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happiness Is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1j-1Ww6K4g
(apparently, embedding is disabled, but click this link first)

**this is a reprint of something I posted on Very Smart Brothas today. Subject: How to be happy**

I love happiness.

I love when people call and ask me how I’m doing and I can genuinely say… “I’m doing great!”
But being happy is not a static state of being. It is a process, a journey of self discovery if you will.

When I was younger, I thought the key to happiness was to have the right STUFF. The right car, home, clothes, hair etc. Now, while I enjoy being surrounded by nice things (I am a Taurus after all), I have joyfully discovered the keys to happiness — forgive me if i repeat what others have
said.

1. Be thankful. We live in one of the richest countries in the world. Be grateful for everything… even the problems. Because trust, someone out there can only DREAM of having what you have. Do you know that if you make $28,000 USD, you are among the top 10% wealthiest people in the World? I looked around my home and realized that a family of 15 would GLADLY live in my space. TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED.

2. Love, love, love. And I’m not talking about romantic love here (although that adds to your happiness, if it is true and pure). Love people. Realize that no matter how douchey someone is being, chances are its a manifestation of hurt, anger and loneliness. So do your best to love them. That means be cordial, smile, and have an open spirit. Sometimes, people are looking for someone to love them– simply by recognizing their humanity.

3. Laugh. Alot. A whole lot. At the dumbest things. Remember funny stuff, tuck it away and retrieve it when life is getting you down. At the very least, it will make you crack a smile, even in the midst of tears.

4. Nourish your soul–however you decide to do that. Connect with your spirituality. Pour yourself into you passions. Share time and space with people who lift you up, yet keep it real with you. A well fed soul is a happy soul.

5. Take care of your physical self. Eat well. Exercise. Maintain your appearance, but DON’T OBSESS. Nothing says self- love like self-care. And people who love themselves (and are not narcisscists) radiate happiness and are able to share love.

6. Live your life like your breath could be taken fom you tomorrow. None of us are promised that we will wake up the next morning when we lay our heads down at night. Truly makes you think about making the most of every moment you have

1 comment:

♥ CG ♥ said...

I'm with ya on this, girlie. Wish more folks would eliminate negativity...although I have to admit...it's definitely harder than I thought :-).