Thursday, December 30, 2004

Happy New Year

Yes, I know its 2 days early... dammit I don't care.
I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. Honestly, you make them, don't keep them and feel like a miserable failure for having no willpower. People, we're just setting ourselves up! I know its tradition, but remember that in Aztec culture it was also tradition to practice human sacrifice-- and my mother had a tradition of soundly whooping my ass once a week just in case I did something wrong and she didn't know about it. Just because its a tradition doesn't necessarily make it good.

So instead of Resolutions, I simply do this. I reflect on the the past year, the mistakes I made, the successes I've had. I take each each one as a lesson or a small victory and "resolve" to have more victories than lessons in the coming year. That way, there is no hard and fast expectation, and I end up knowing that I am wiser than I was one year ago.

To all who read this, have a happy, healthy and blessed new year.

No comments: