Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Some people are disgusting- Public Service Announcement

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE REBEL INTELLECTUAL.

For your own health and safety... DO NOT BUY COSMETICS THAT ARE OUT IN THE OPEN AT YOUR LOCAL DRUG STORE. You might be getting more than you bargained for...


I was totally skeeved out by what I witnessed at the drug store last night. So much so that I called my soror in HOUSTON to rant about it (she is the only person who truly understands my randomness-- and my need to vent immediately lest I explode, but I digress).

I stopped by my neighborhood CVS last night to pick up a tube of mascara and a chocolate bunny for my goddaughter (ok... and some for me too... I'm on a MAJOR chocolate bender right now). As I entered the cosmetics aisle I saw a middle aged white woman testing out different lipsticks. Wouldn't have been so disgusted if it weren't for the fact that she was trying them out ON HER LIPS! And it wasn't just a couple of tubes. Much like a train wreck, I wanted to look away, but since I could not, I witnessed her do this with at least 8 different tubes from different manufacturers.

Yeah... disgusting right? Well even more so for me because I am in Public Health. So in my mind, not only am I noting how inherently WRONG her behavior is, but I'm also going through the number of infectious diseases that she could be catching from each tube of lipstick or WORSE what she could be passing along to another unsuspecting consumer.

Here is a BREIF list (see Prevention article for more)

Salmonella
E.coli
Staph infections
Conjunctivitis
Herpes (oral and genital)
http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s1-5-53-146-4961-1,00.html

And if she's got kids and a husband? I'm so sorry for them. Cuz she will be kissing them goodnight.

And people wonder WHY I spend obscene amounts of money at M.A.C and Sephora for my cosmetics.

Because when I buy the shit, it is in a SEALED container in a SEALED box that comes to my hands from a certified cosmetologist from the drawer directly behind the display.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by The REBEL INTELLECTUAL.

No comments: